WebSite X5Help Center

 
Hugh S.
Hugh S.
User

Pages changed from php to html - why?  en

Autore: Hugh S.
Visite 151, Followers 1, Condiviso 0  

I have just updated my site and now when clicking links from the drop-down menu they raise an error message. Each page as .php as the extension. If I replace it with .html the page appears.

All I did was do a normal update of text content on two pages. Why have all the page suffixes changed? How can I restore the menu links to reach the correct pages?

Thanks.

Postato il
4 RISPOSTE - 1 CORRETTO
Paul M.
Paul M.
Moderator
Utente del mese EN

Hello Hugh,

I did some research on your site this evening and I believe your issue has more to do with missing/deleted files on the server, as opposed to the file name extension.

In the early part of this year all of your website pages carried .php file extensions.  Not only that but they were all accessible from the links generated in the drop-down menu.

At some point during the spring/summer these files have become inaccessible on the server.  Did you change webhosting perhaps?

WebSite X5 never deletes files on the server: it only adds or replaces them, so the reason for the missing files can only be discovered by discussion with your webhost.

You should be able to recreate the missing files fairly easily:

Hold down the CTRL key whilst entering the Preview mode in WebSite X5.  Then reupload your project to the server in Step 5, but be certain to select ONLY the following Upload Mode:

Upload all Website files to the Internet

By the way, the pages which you see when you replace the .php extension with .html are old pages from your previous version 15, and are not related to this issue in any way.  All the old version 15 pages could safely be deleted from the server, without impacting on your version 17 project.

Please let us know if you continue to have difficulty.

Kind regards,

Paul

Search the WebSite X5 Help Center (multilingual)

Leggi di più
Postato il da Paul M.
Hugh S.
Hugh S.
User
Autore

Ahoy Paul,

Thank you for a quick and most helpful answer. smile I confess I must be the cause. In trying to solve the problem of my update not appearing online (even after a forced reload in all the browsers I used), I deleted the files on the server and then re-uploaded all the files. But from what you say not all the files were uploaded!

I am about to do as you advise and will report back. 

Leggi di più
Postato il da Hugh S.
Hugh S.
Hugh S.
User
Autore

Paul, you are a champion! It worked like a charm. I must remember the Ctrl-Preview trick if this ever arises in future. 

Thank you also for going to the trouble of checking out the site directly.

With every best wish,

Hugh

Leggi di più
Postato il da Hugh S.
Paul M.
Paul M.
Moderator
Utente del mese EN

You're welcome, Hugh... that's great news!  Thanks for letting us know smile

Leggi di più
Postato il da Paul M.