Connection errorAutore: Kevin Prince
it's me again.
I have a major problem with automatic registration. I started in another thread about this.
But it's escalated so much that it's causing me a problem
So I have deleted all my databases and created a new one.
I can go to my registration page and enter data which appears in the actual table.
Then if I go to Access management/site settings and try to update the list of users I get this.
Where do I go now, I've checked database numbers, been into the database via ISP and also checked it all from Filezilla. All seems in place.
I've even tried this with a new site from scratch, I end up in the same mess